As a young man, I thought sayings or aphorisms were just plain stupid. 53 years and several hard knocks later, I’ve learned to appreciate sayings for what they are- a pithy way to convey experiential wisdom.
Many I heard from my grandparents. Others were passed onto me by my late father. Several sayings came to me courtesy of countless in-home meetings with senior homeowners.
Here are a collection of sayings that will make you laugh, reflect, and commit to doing better the next time.
Download PDF of full list of sayings
- This too shall pass.~Persian adage
- It’s not the knowing that is difficult, but the doing. ~Chinese proverb
- As one thinks in their heart, so they are. ~Proverbs 23:7
- Shortcuts make long delays. ~J.R.R. Tolkein, ‘The Fellowship of the Ring’
- You wake up one day and you realize that all these years have gone by and I have this mortgage and I have this couch and I have this life and… is this going to be my prison? ~Lynn Shelton
- The best revenge is to be unlike him who performed the injury.~Marcus Aurelius
- If there’s a will, there’s a way. ~Anonymous
- Necessity is the mother of invention. ~Plato
- The soul attracts that which it secretly harbors, that which it loves, and also that which it fears. ~James Allen, ‘As a Man Thinketh’
- Creativity requires the courage to let go of certainties. ~Erich Fromm
- Clear to close. Just kidding, still in underwriting ~Unknown
- A person only hears that which they understand. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
- It is what it is. ~someone in New York City.
- Be yourself, everyone else is taken. ~Oscar Wilde
- It’s not whether you get knocked down. It’s whether you get up. ~Vince Lombardi
- If you tell the truth, you don’t have to remember anything. ~Mark Twain
- Action is the blossom of thought, and joy and suffering are its fruits. ~James Allen, ‘As a Man Thinketh’
- You miss 100 percent of the shots you never take ~ Wayne Gretzky
- To the man who only has a hammer, everything he encounters begins to look like a nail. ~Abraham Maslow
- We are what we repeatedly do; excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. ~Aristotle
- People often say that motivation doesn’t last. Well, neither does bathing – that’s why we recommend it daily. ~ Zig Ziglar
- Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand. ~Kurt Vonnegut
- I have made this letter longer than usual because I lack the time to make it shorter. ~Blaise Pascal
- Don’t ever wrestle with a pig. You’ll both get dirty, but the pig will enjoy it. ~ Cale Yarborough
- Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. ~Mark Twain