Epigrams- they were engraved on statues, the walls of homes in Pompei, and even in the rock of the Temple of Apollo. Think of them as the ancient predecessor of today’s memes. An epigram put simply is a pithy saying often packed with wisdom or humor – it’s often written in verse. Just as many on social media find memes irresistible, epigrams still hold sway in the twenty-first century. As the famous poet and playwright Oscar Wilde puts it, “I can resist everything but temptation”. So let’s indulge our appetite for some famous, insightful, and irreverent epigrams.
- “An economist’s guess is liable to be as good as anybody else’s” – Will Rogers
- “The best revenge is not to be like that.” -Marcus Aurelius
- “Character is fate.”- Heraclitus
- “Action expresses priorities.” -Mohandas Gandhi
- “If you can’t be a good example, you’ll just have to be a horrible warning” – Catherine the Great
- “This is not your responsibility, but it is your problem.” – Cheryl Strayed
- “You never know who’s swimming naked until the tide goes out.” – Warren Buffett
- “Live as if you were living a second time, and as though you had acted wrongly the first time.” – Viktor Frankl
- “Justice delayed is justice denied” – Unknown
- “Expectation is the root of all heartache.” – William Shakespeare
- “Be curious, not judgmental.” – Walt Whitman
- “Education isn’t something you can finish.” – Isaac Asimov
- “We are all broken- that’s how the light gets in.” – Ernest Hemingway
- “You may have to fight a battle more than once to win it.” – Margaret Thatcher
- “And now that you don’t have to be perfect, you can be good.” -John Steinbeck
I love #12 by Asimov, one of my favorite authors. Thanks for posting!
Glad you liked that epigram Roger!
THANKS, SHANNON FOR FOR INSIGHTFUL THOUGHT’S I SOMETIMES FIND WEED’S THAT I DIDN’T KNOW WERE THERE. ALSO HOW FAST THEY GROW OVERNIGHT. – YOU LET GROW AND DON’T CUT THEM THEY TAKE OVER – EVER BEEN ON A GOLF COURSE – HIGH GRASS SAME AS WEEDS GET LOST IN THERE AND WALK AWAY – COSTS AN EXTRA STROKE TO DROP ANOTHER BALL AND GET OUT OF THERE. I WILL LOOK AT MY WEEDS DIFFERENT NOW.