Quite honesty I miss you all. The annual pilgrimage of reverse mortgage professionals to connect, learn, advise, brainstorm, and encourage is the highlight of the year for many. Yet, thanks to the COVID-19 pandemic, we are forced to avoid meeting in large numbers (a wise choice). Thankfully, NRMLA has prepared a virtual annual meeting. Now that they’ve done their part here are twelve tips for each of to us to prepare to get the most from this meeting, and all future virtual conferences.
- Make sure your photo and contact information is current. Your Zoom meeting avatar should include your photo so attendees can easily identify you.
- Dress professionally– pajamas may be tempting but dressing the part helps you get into a working state of mind.
- Check your lighting. Is your face dark? Is your background cluttered? Organize your office backdrop and add some soft white light directly to your head and shoulders using a lamp outside of the view of your camera. If you’re using a Zoom virtual background, it’s best to have a solid well-lit background behind you for the best results.
- Close all unused applications. Even better, restart your computer and start fresh with only the virtual meeting software running. Check your camera and make sure it’s activating. If not, restarting your computer typically fixes the glitch.
- Turn off all pop-up notifications and especially- turn off your email. You can respond to messages between sessions.
- Put your phone on silent or in airplane mode during the session. Nothing’s worse than your phone zapping your mental focus.
- Clean your web-camera lens. Smudges never look good…they only make you appear out of focus.
- Time-block all the sessions you will be attending on your calendar. Include the Zoom/Virtual meeting link in the calendar event.
- Have a notepad or word processor ready to take notes. If notes will be provided focus on the most relevant takeaways and leave the rest to the presenter.
- Be prepared to participate. If all attendees are muted, be ready to type in your questions.
- Avoid multitasking and keep your attention directed at the camera during the presentation. If you must look away for a bit turn off your video.
- Between sessions stretch your legs, get some water or a snack, and move around a bit. Sitting in your chair for six hours will eventually sap your strength and aggravate your back.
There you have it. 12 ways to get the most out of NRMLA’s Virtual Annual Meeting. Add your own tips in the comment section below. Cheers!