How Reverse Mortgages Can Help Seniors Age In Place, Part 3
Each year, more than 22,000 agencies nationwide provide home care services to over two million people, and as the population ages, these numbers will continue to grow.
Like the senior described in How Reverse Mortgages Can Help Seniors Age In Place/Part 2, who was able to return home after a serious accident because she hired a live-in attendant, a helping hand may be the deciding factor in whether a senior is able to age in place — and thus, whether they’re a reverse mortgage lead.
It’s helpful for reverse mortgage professionals to know what care is available, so you can suggest these options to seniors (or their loved ones) to help them remain at home as they age.
Here are 7 services that can make it easier to age in place:
- Homemaker Services – Help with household maintenance: cooking, light cleaning, laundry, grocery shopping, and other household tasks.
- Personal Care – Assistance with a variety of daily living activities such as bathing, dressing, grooming and eating.
- Companion – From daily telephone calls from a “buddy,” to regular friendly visits.
- Health Care – Skilled care that can include nursing visits, as well as speech, occupational, physical, or respiratory therapy.
- Senior Centers – Daily, facility-based social programs in a community center setting. Transportation to and from the Center is sometimes provided.
- Live-in Help – A full-time, live-in attendant may offer a combination of homemaker and personal care assistance, and other non-medical support services.
- Support Groups – Support for issues about aging, peer companionship, illness-based and grief support, and other topics to help seniors experiencing life changes or specific challenges.
Aging in place is what many seniors desire and deserve. Knowing the range of service available to both enable them to remain at home, and to make a temporary or permanent move elsewhere should the need arise, you’ll be well equipped to respond to the concerns that crop up as seniors contemplate a reverse mortgage.